Simplify, simplify, simplify...

My mind has been racing since Tuesday night. I don't identify with any specific political affiliation per se but my support has been given based almost entirely on fiscal decisions this election. I have watched over the last three and a half years as the cost of food, gas, and interest have grown faster than in the past. Trust me, I have a fabulous partner who tracks down to the penny where our money goes (he wrote the pre-post to this one). I could show you pie graphs or bar charts...it's purely objective. If anything our lifestyle has become more simple over the years so you would expect that spending would drop but with rising costs, this is not the case. To say I am concerned is an understatement.

Has anyone else experienced this?

There have been multiple attempts to offset these costs ie I RARELY buy meat anymore. Sure we eat meat on the rare occasion that we go out, but in our home, vegetarian meals have drastically reduced the cost. DIY has become commonplace in our home and thrift stores are our go-to for necessities.

I get comments from friends and family about my spending (well, lack of) but as I read on a blog a few weeks ago,"if others aren't commenting on your (lack of) spending habits, it is not remarkable enough to make a difference". We have dual incomes and we do alright but I want better than "alright" in my home. I want freedom from rising food, gas, and interest costs.

I have found myself the last few days realizing that I have a lot more control in this than I initially thought. Thank goodness I have Google and that there are so many people out there that are years ahead of me on this topic that I can learn from. Thank goodness I had a friend in grad school who first taught me how to cook something out of nothing. Thank goodness I have a Mr. who feels as strongly about this issue as I.

No comments: