A return to simple...

I used to spend my summer vacations in a small town. So small that it wasn't on a map and the largest building in the community was a red, one- room schoolhouse. The farm hand taught me to ride horses and I would play in the barn, climbing the stacks of hay along with the mice. My grandmother grew rhubarb and told us not to eat the leaves. She made butterscotch pudding for dessert. My grandpa would take his boots off at the door and hang his Stetson on a horseshoe shaped hook. Summers were easy there. We played card games in the evening and I would fall asleep on the pull out couch.

I am back. Different town but same culture. Neighbors I just met bringing fresh vegetables from their gardens. Strangers waving at me as I drive into town simply because "that's what farmers do". I still can't believe I am here. Glaring differences between people here and everywhere else.Awkward at times because I have become a guarded city girl in a sense. Often my responses seem strange and disconnected. Almost like I have to explain, "yes I am from here", tempered with "But a long time ago".

Despite the awkwardness, things are familiar here. Comfortable. Simple.

Soon enough, it will get substantially better. Soon I will call it Home. Counting days Love.

2 comments:

Katy said...

Maegan I had no idea you moved! How wonderful to live in a small town. I've never lived anywhere that would be considered a big metropolis, but I've always wanted to live in a small town where everyone knows everyone else. I saw on facebook that you're working for The State of Idaho. How are you liking your job?

Maeg said...

Katy! I am loving my job! I work with some fantastic people and the work load is much lower with higher pay. It's a great fit. If you want practice at "small town living" feel free to come visit! How are you? Are you still in Fresno? Did you get school sorted out? Catch me up! I feel like it's been too long!