Greyhound...

August 7, 2009 I was sitting on a Greyhound bus. I was headed for Wisconsin although I only made it to St. Louis. It was a long and boring trip but the decision to go was simple. The stench was terrible, a mixture of sweat and stale pot. One other woman was there traveling with her teenage son. She spoke broken English but radiated friendliness and warmth like a Mother should. I sat next to a trucker. His large arms were bare beneath his muscle tee. His arm hairs were coarse and prickly and rubbed against my arm leaving behind a red rash. He was from Iowa I think. He presented as a friendly man but his eyes reflected loneliness. My Dad promised me "an experience" by taking the Greyhound. My Dad never spoke a lie in his entire life. This was indeed an experience.


Often in my life I have lept in directions that seem careless and irresponsible. This was another to add to my repertoire. The best things in my life have come from these times when I am brave enough to "jump"...the worst are those when I fail to be brave. My sister once told me I am "lucky". I was offended at the time. All of the experiences and education and friends that I had appealed to her. Did she understand how hard I worked for those things. I had them because I was brave enough to pursue them. I have never believed much in luck. I believe we direct our lives based on the decisions we make (or fail to make). With you I was presented with an opportunity to jump. It was perhaps the furthest and scariest of all. People say these are the ones in which we are most rewarded.


I could not possibly be more rewarded.



3 comments:

Jordan & Kara said...

You are such a good writer:) Hope you guys are doing well. Let me know when you are coming back to Utah so we can set aside some time to do lunch or something!!!

Maeg said...

Thanks Kara, things are good. I would love to meet up! I will keep you posted.

Shelece & Josh said...

Miss you girl! I love seeing what you'll write, it's beautiful!